Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Fantastic Adventures, April 1949


This has to be one of the goofier covers on a pulp that had plenty of them. The art is by Edmond Swiatek. I'm fond of FANTASTIC ADVENTURES, silly though it may be at times. This issue has stories by a couple of house-names, Alexander Blade and E.K. Jarvis; the actual authors of those yarns don't appear to be known. Robert W. Krepps is in there, too, under his Geoff St. Reynard pseudonym, as is Rog Phillips. Hey, just a mention of giant apes would have been enough to get me to read it if I'd been around to see it on the newsstand.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been tempted to buy this issue on eBay several times, just for the cover. But so far I've resisted.

James Reasoner said...

To paraphrase something a wise man once told me: "You never regret the pulps you buy, only the pulps you didn't buy."

Barry Traylor said...

1949 was not exactly the best year for this magazine and this cover was just about the worst that year.

Unknown said...

James, that's the absolute truth. The next time it turns up, it's mine.