Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Dime Detective, February 1936

DIME DETECTIVE was the chief rival to BLACK MASK when it came to hardboiled crime fiction. In this issue, Carroll John Daly contributes a story featuring his most famous character, Race Williams (whose adventures started in BLACK MASK). T.T. Flynn, best known today as a Western writer, also wrote a number of crime and adventure stories for the pulps. Many years after this issue came out, William E. Barrett wrote the novel LILIES OF THE FIELD, which became the award-winning Sidney Poitier movie. And Robert Sidney Bowen, famous for his aviation stories, is on hand, too. DIME DETECTIVE was in the top tier of pulp magazines, and it deserved that ranking.

5 comments:

Scott D. Parker said...

James, do you own these mags in reprints, or do you have the originals?

James Reasoner said...

Most of the images, including this one, are from the Fictionmags Index, but I plan to start posting more scans of issues that I actually own.

Walker Martin said...

DIME DETECTIVE has long been one of my favorite magazines. I enjoy it even more than BLACK MASK. Altus Press has started reprinting the Cardigan stories by Frederick Nebel and has plans for the reprinting of more series from the magazine.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Dime Detective was one of the best. Thanks for posting.

Fred Blosser said...

I've hung onto the two DIME DETECTIVES that I picked up many years ago, each featuring an early John D. MacDonald novelette. I used to have three or four BLACK MASKS but sold or traded them along the way; in one case -- an issue that included one of the Op stories that Hammett turned into THE DAIN CURSE -- I really now regret my decision to let it go.