Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: All-Story Western, September 1949

This appears to be a Canadian reprint pulp published by Popular Publications. The lead story, "Way of the Untamed", was originally published as a serial titled "Hurricane Range" in ARGOSY in 1939. It was reprinted as a British paperback under the HURRICANE RANGE title and I'm sure appeared under another title in an American edition, but I wasn't able to figure out which one. The rest of the issue is made up of assorted features, not fiction. The cover of this issue is a pretty good one. Hard to go wrong with a powder-burnin' old geezer in a Gabby Hayes hat.

3 comments:

Walker Martin said...

It appears both men are fanning the hammers of their guns. I've often wondered how often this was practiced in real life. I would think fanning would result in definitely inaccurate shooting.

Anonymous said...

The Luke Short story "Way of the Untamed" (aka: "Hurricane Range") was published in book form in the USA as the novel "War on the Cimarron"

-Tom Daniels

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for that info, Tom. I don't recall if I've read that one or not.