Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Old Times' Sake

What better subject for my first real post of '08 than my first short story collection? OLD TIMES' SAKE, from the fine small press publisher Ramble House, gathers 16 or 17 of my stories, mostly from MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE, including my first published mystery story, "Comingor", from the August 1977 issue of MSMM. I believe it was my second published story overall, predated only by the confession story that was my first sale. As I say in my comments in the book, most of these stories were written so long ago it seems like someone else wrote them. But that means I had a good time going back over them and getting them ready to be reprinted. You can check out the book here, and while you're there look around the Ramble House website and check out the rest of their very interesting offerings.

6 comments:

Graham Powell said...

That's awesome! I have read a couple of your short stories here and there and always been impressed.

Unknown said...

I read most, if not all, of those stories the first time around, but I'm sure they hold up very well. Too bad you can't reprint those Shayne "novels" you did for the magazine. They were great.

August West said...

Great book idea. It's on my list of "must have." One of my favorite short stories has always been "Down in the Valley" Can't wait to read the stories I missed the first time around....Thanks!

Juri said...

Congrats, James, for the new book!

James Reasoner said...

A publisher approached me several years ago about reprinting some of the Mike Shayne stories I wrote, doing them three or four per volume. He was going to try to track down whoever owns the rights to the character and set up a deal, but I never heard from him again so I assume he was unsuccessful.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. This sounds like a must read. I've got some stuff I need to bring to Cross Plains next year to get you to sign.