Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Kolchak: The Night Stalker Casebook


Today I received my author’s copies of KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER CASEBOOK, a new anthology of stories featuring the character from the short-lived but iconic Seventies TV series. My story “Pirate’s Blood” is one of them, and I had a great time writing it. I recall watching the original made-for-TV movie THE NIGHT STALKER and its sequel THE NIGHT STRANGLER while I was in college. I was a regular viewer of the series, too. This was just my second experience at doing TV tie-in work (I wrote the three WALKER, TEXAS RANGER novels some years ago), and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope I did a good job of capturing Kolchak’s unique voice. The anthology also features stories by Robert J. Randisi, Gary Phillips, Rick Hautala, Christopher Golden, P.N. Elrod, and numerous other writers, and it looks like a fine collection, as was the first volume of Kolchak stories published by Moonstone Books KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER CHRONICLES. If you’re a fan of the TV show or of good mystery/horror yarns in general, I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these books.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I was a big fan of this series so I'll be looking for the book. I tried to watch the new series on Sci Fi but it lost all the good qualities of the original. But then, Darren McGavin was hard to replace.

Anonymous said...

Where can we get this book, James?

James Reasoner said...

Amazon and Barnes & Noble On-line both have the book, although it looks like they have to backorder it and it might take a while to get it that way. B&N may have it in their brick-and-mortar stores, I haven't been in yet to check. Also it can be ordered directly from the publisher (www.moonstonebooks.com), and most comic book stores will either have it in stock or can get it.