Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Day Off

I wound up making a library run today for research books and spent most of the afternoon going over them and working with Livia on the plot for that proposal I mentioned. However, I'm far from satisfied with the idea and couldn't sit down to write with what I have in my head now. So this is going to take some more pondering. I have an idea for another proposal I probably could go ahead and write, so that may be what gets done next, and another backup idea beyond that if I need it.

Tonight I watched a documentary on PBS about John Ford and John Wayne and thought it was outstanding. I've been a John Wayne fan since I saw THE COMANCHEROS at the Eagle Drive-in in 1961, and I like all the films he made with John Ford, especially STAGECOACH, THE SEARCHERS, and THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. I'm also very fond of a little-known Ford/Wayne film called THE LONG VOYAGE HOME (based on a play by Eugene O'Neill, I believe) in which Wayne plays a Swedish sailor and acquits himself surprisingly well. I haven't seen it in years but would like to watch it again to see if it holds up.

2 comments:

Juri said...

O'Neill is correct. Wonder how Ford would've handled Beckett...

Carl V. Anderson said...

Sounds like a great documentary. With the advent of satellite television in our home and the Discovery/History/HGTV/FoodNetwork channels I forget about PBS and that's sad because they have such great stuff on there. Thanks for the reminder.