Sunday, February 05, 2006

Short Fiction Again; Super Bowl Sunday

Since posting a week or so ago about how I hardly ever write short stories anymore, several opportunities to do just that have cropped up. They're not guaranteed sales by any means, but they're stories that I'm very qualified to write and they're for editors who have expressed a liking for my work in the past. I'll have to take a little time away from my novel schedule to write them, but maybe not too much. Only after I finish the current book later this week, though. But I already have some research for one of the stories and I'm looking forward to writing it. (Actually, now that I think about it, some of that research will work for two of the stories, even though they'll be completely different . . .)

I had almost no interest in this year's Super Bowl. I was sort of rooting for Seattle, but only because I don't like the Steelers. But I don't really care about the outcome and didn't watch any of the game except the last minute or so. (We were waiting for GRAY'S ANATOMY to start.) Earlier in the evening we watched the DVD of WEDDING CRASHERS, which I liked quite a bit. Sure, it was a little crude in places, but its heart was in the right place. Last night we watched THE LEGEND OF ZORRO, which I was prepared to dislike because I know quite a few people who liked the first one with Banderas but not this one. I thought it was okay. The anachronisms bothered me quite a bit -- come on, a Henry rifle in 1850? -- but the movie looked good and had some nice stunts. Although I never trust stunts as much as I used to, because I always wonder if they've been CGI-augmented. When Yakima Canutt jumped a horse off a cliff, you know he really jumped a horse off a cliff.

1 comment:

mtmorgan said...

I liked Wedding Crashers alot. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn are great. Rachel McAdams is radiant. And you're right, it's heart is in the right place. Very enjoyable.